Amazon India, the leading e-commerce giant launched its Amazon Prime service on July 26, 2016, in India. So, what this “Amazon Prime” really is? What kind of benefits will you be getting from this service and who should be using prime membership? We will answer all these questions today.
What is Amazon Prime?
It’s a paid membership program which is already available in countries like US, UK, Canada and lot more. With amazon prime, you will get exclusive access to various Amazon services such as early access to Amazon lightning deals, fast delivery, free shipping on orders below 600 rupees, unlimited video streaming etc.
In other countries there are many other services under Amazon prime, Like – Ad-free music streaming, unlimited book reading, unlimited photo storage & lot more. But, in India, Amazon is slowly rolling out the prime services. They started only with fast delivery and early deals access, but in 2017 they have added video streaming as well.
If you think that the above-mentioned services are worth 999 rupees a year then you just need to go to Amazon Prime Link and click on “Join Prime Today” and pay 999 rupees for the 1-year subscription. This membership is available on the yearly basis only.
UPDATE – From July 2018 Amazon started a monthly subscription of Prime Membership at ₹129 a month only.
With the new monthly prime membership, you can give it a try and see if the membership is really worth the price for you. Even if you place 2 orders in a month, with free shipping advantage the prime membership becomes almost free for you.
Main Benefits of Using Amazon Prime in India –
- Fast & Free Delivery – Gone are the days when you have to wait for weeks to receive your product. With Amazon prime, you will get the delivery in just 2 days on eligible items. In some areas like Delhi NCR, it could be a one-day delivery as well.
- Early access to the deals by Amazon – As a prime customer you will receive early access to the daily offers like blockbuster deals, lightning deals, deal of the day etc. All prime customers will be able to see the deals 30 minutes earlier than the other customers on Amazon.After 30 minutes, all the deals will be available to other customers as well. Not just that, Amazon puts newly launched flagship products first for Prime members and then for regular members.
- FREE delivery on any order value – As a prime customer, you need not pay any shipping for any of your order. Even if you purchase a 50 rupee product from Amazon, it will be delivered to your doorstep for FREE. A non-prime customer has to pay the shipping fee on any order which is below 599 rupees.
- Access to Amazon Prime Video – As a prime customer you will get unlimited streaming of tv and movies available on prime video. Amazon adds the latest movies and tv shows on a regular basis. You will not only get to see Indian content, you will get to watch some Hollywood Movies & TV shows as well.
- Access to Ad-free Amazon Prime Music – You can enjoy music without any ads or interruptions with Amazon Prime Music. Not just that, you can download the songs offline to enjoy them without any internet connection. Amazon adds new songs every week which keeps the prime music fresh for its users.
You Might Also Like –
Moving forward, we will try to answer some of the questions which might be coming to your mind right now…
Question – Can you purchase any item from Amazon and it will be delivered under prime benefits?
Answer – No, you have to check the “Prime” badge to be sure that the item which you are buying falls under amazon prime. If you buy an item which does not have the “Prime” badge on it. It will be a normal purchase which you usually do from Amazon.
Question – Does Amazon Prime members get exclusive access to some items?
Answer – Yes, you might get exclusive access to some of the newly launched items which are not available to normal customers. For example – If Samsung launches a brand new mobile in India through Amazon, then you might get exclusive access to that mobile and you will be among the first few to get your hands on that product. Good for that show off among friends, hah… 😉
Question – What is the cost of Amazon Prime membership in India?
Answer – The happy days of Amazon Prime Trial Membership are over and now you have to pay 999 rupees for one year of Prime Membership. Amazon raised the price in 2017 only and also added Video Streaming service to the membership in 2017.
But, as we mentioned above, in July 2018 Amazon started a new monthly prime membership plan. If you are still not confident about the benefits of Prime Membership, then you can simply try it for 1 month at just 129 rupees a month.
NOTE: The fee is non-refundable as per the terms and conditions of Amazon India. Please visit this link for more details – Prime India Terms
Now, you might be thinking that Amazon Prime should be opted by everyone in India. But, there are certain things which you should consider before becoming a prime member. In certain ways, it is beneficial for certain shoppers and also non-beneficial for certain shoppers.
If you are a loyal Amazon customer and make frequent purchases on Amazon, then Amazon prime is a great option for you because you will get back your invested money (prime membership cost) back to your pocket within few months with the advantage of FREE and FAST Delivery on each purchase.
You can also add the advantage of watching the Movies on Amazon Prime which you missed/skipped watching in the theatre. Hence, you save on movie ticket spendings as well. But, do keep in mind that Amazon does not add blockbuster movies early & often.
But, on the other hand, if you are not a frequent buyer on Amazon, you will not get much benefit of being a prime member. Because the money which you pay for the prime membership will be wasted if you do not purchase frequently and take the advantage of Free Delivery.
Another point to consider is that, if you rarely purchase online and the item that you purchase values more than 599 rupees then you will be getting FREE delivery anyway. So, being a prime member does not make any sense for infrequent buyers.
Even after all this, we do recommend you to give “Amazon Prime” a try because there are only a couple of reliable e-commerce sites available in India other than Amazon. You might not do frequent purchases every month, but even if you do 1 purchase every month which costs less than 599 then you will recover all the amount in 1 year (50×12 = 600). And enjoy those extra benefits of Video Streaming & early access to deals and products as icing on the cake.
Also, during the festival season, almost everyone makes a couple of purchases online, but the delivery time for normal buyers is delayed due to an increase in orders. For the Prime Members, the advantage is still on. So, make those last minute purchases and enjoy the benefit of faster delivery.
Important Note – Do not forget to cancel the membership after 1 Year if you are not willing to keep it further. If you miss that cancellation, then your debit or credit card might be deducted automatically. For more information, please visit this link – Prime Terms
Last, but not the least. We believe that Amazon Prime will be a huge success in India because time has proven that we Indians are becoming more and more impatient when it comes to e-commerce deliveries.
Drop your comments below and tell us what you think about Amazon Prime India membership and if you already opted for one, how was your experience?